What is the New Hanover County Detention Facility’s address?
3950 Juvenile Center Road, Castle Hayne, NC 28429

I don’t have a home phone, so can inmates call me on my cell phone?
Yes, Securus Technologies is the contracted phone service provider for the inmate phones and can assist you with this. For more information contact them at 1-800-844-6591.

How do I set up a visit with an inmate?
Inmates schedule their own visits with those they desire to see.

Do I need any type of identification to visit an inmate?
Yes, you will need a valid picture I.D. before you are allowed into the facility.

What information does an inmate need to schedule a visit?
The inmate needs your full name, address and date of birth .

When are visits permitted?
Visitations occur daily at 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

How long do the visits last?
Visits last 45 minutes and you should arrive at least 15 minutes early to check in at the Desk.

How many visits can an inmate schedule per week?
The inmate can schedule 2 visits per week. The new week begins on Monday.

How many visitors may visit an inmate at one time?
Two visitors are allowed per visit. Children, regardless of age, count as a visitor.

How should I dress for visits?
Appropriate clothing is required. You should not wear any of the following: see through clothing, tank tops, anything with spaghetti straps, low cut tops, tube tops, tops that show midriff, bathing suits and jeans that show underwear. The shorts and shirts must come to right above the knee. Do not wear clothing with inappropriate pictures, logos or words. Shoes must be worn.

What items am I allowed to drop off at the Detention facility for an inmate?
You may drop off money or a new set of unopened hair clippers. You must understand that the hair clippers will be donated to the facility.

When I drop off money for an inmate, when will it be credited to their account?
The money will be credited the next business day.

How do I find out about an inmate’s charges and bonds?
Simply check the “Inmate Inquiry” section of this site.

How do I find out if there is a warrant on someone?
Simply check the “Wanted List” section on this site.

Where do I go to get a pistol purchase permit or concealed weapons permit?
You may pick up the paperwork either at the Civil Section, located in the basement of the Courthouse, or at the Detention facility. Completed paperwork must be returned to the Civil Section.

Where can I pick up a copy of a report?
Copies of reports can be obtained from the Sheriff’s Office Records Division located on the 1st floor of the Courthouse at 316 Princess Street.

Who do I call to have a security watch on my home while I am on vacation or out of town?
You should call the Sheriff’s Office Front Desk at 798-4161.

Who do I call to set up Community Watch in my neighborhood?
You can call the Sheriff’s Office Crime Prevention Unit at 798-4227.

Back To FAQ List

Request in process, please wait...